Here is the download link to a section of the Griffiths Valuation map for Strabane circa 1850.
To use: open the file inside Google Earth.
A word of caution: This map was resized to fit Google Earth as closely as possible and should not be expected to give measurements to any dependable degree of accuracy.
- 1846: School for deaf and dumb children opens.
- 1847: Railway station established.
- 1856: Fire kills 6 children at the Deaf and Dumb Institution
- 1863 - 17 Sept: First train from Strabane to Stranorlar, Finn Valley Railway.
- 1865: Gourlie & Son Shirt factory established, Derry Road (NOT shown on map)
|1||Fires and Fire Fighting in Strabane: 18th and 19th centuries Page 4 - Deaf and Dumb School Fire 1856|
|2||1858 Griffiths Valuation for Strabane Lower|